Go to your happy place. A saying I have heard before, but have never really undertood what it meant. As simple as the concept is, visit a comforting situation in your mind to gain a certain feeling, it doesn’t resonate with me. Yes there are things in my life that make me happy, but they don’t make me feel like I am in a “happy place.” Most likely because I am a contrary bastard who just doesn’t like the way that saying sounds. When I envision a happy place I think of physical locations. Places that I enjoy being.
1. Home Bathrooms – In my home growing up my siblings and I didn’t have locks on our doors. I understand the concept and never had an issue with it, yet the lack of privacy left me seeking a refuge where I could be by myself away from everyone else. Fortunately for me the bathroom was just such a place. This was the only spot where I could have complete and total privacy since there was a lock. I probably exploited that fact for all it was worth since I would routinely spend several hours at a time locked in the bathroom. Reading books while sitting on the toilet until my legs went to sleep was where the process usually began. Once I had my fill of reading I would move on to bathing where I’d fall asleep in the tub. Mom and Dad would routinely knock to make sure I hadn’t drowned myself (which was probably closer to happening than I realized). To this day the bathroom of the place I live is where I feel most relaxed, and come up withsome of my best ideas.
2. On the road – Driving is a pretty cathartic activity for me. There are lots of nice places in this country, and lots of great views which are available for viewing if you just drive. By myself or with friends it doesn’t matter. Simply being out on the road on a crisp fall day driving through the Appalachain region of the country is one of my favorite places of all time.
3. Hugs – If you have met me in person, chances are you have been hugged by me. I am without question a huggy person. Call me needy, but I crave physical attention from those I care for, and experiencing a loving embrace with those people takes me to a happy place. If I have to be more specific I would say laying in bed in the arms of someone I love, but only if I have to be more specific.
4. Sports bars – Any place with huge TVs, sports memorabalia, alcohol, and cute women in shorts (think Buffalo Wild Wings not Hooters) is A-OK in my book. What’s not to love? I have spent at least a portion of my birthday celebration in sports bars for the past5 years because they are my favorite place to be. My life was severely thrown off by living in a city in California were there were no real sports bar, and a really shitty bar that was supposed to be a sports bar. Needless to say I moved.
5. Libraries – People tend to not talk to me when I am in the library which generally makes me happy. Reliable wireless connections and access to reading material I might otherwise be hardpressed to find make this a perfect place for me to spend time. I don’t know that it is in my top 5 all time, but it is worthy of inclusion in this list.
List 5 places you enjoy being.